Monday, July 19, 2010

Rostock Germany July 5


After a day at sea, we docked in Warnemuede, Germany. Although Jim and Debbie walked around later in the afternoon, we stayed closer to the ship. It is a "typical beach town" with one of the best beaches in Germany to the north of town.
Although many on the ship took a 3 hour train ride to Berlin, we decided to stay more local and took a shuttle to Rostock, one of the oldest university towns in Germany.
We wandered around old town and through the farmer's market.
I don't know why I was so surprised to see their surge protectors looking so odd---they do have different electrical plugs.
After a visit to a pastry shop, we went to the Marien Kirche.
Having lived in southern Germany, I'm not used to seeing a more Gothic style church with decorative glazed bricks which seemed pretty common among the cities that belonged Hanseatic League. (note the roosters on top of the steeples---a symbol of resurrection found on German churches in the St. Louis area, too)
This photo shows the glazed brick and the church seems to have very modern lines.
It is however, quite old---this tomb is from the 1600's.
Although it has beautiful carvings. . .
And a nice stained glass window. . .
It's real "claim to fame" is this astronomical clock which we saw at noon, with marching figures. Unfortunately, noon is also when the worship service began and we had to stop taking photos.
The bottom dial shows the date, but the years stop in 2017 (that seemed so distant when the clock was made in the 1800's).
After the church, we had brats and beer at the Ratskeller restaurant and walked around town until it was time for our shuttle bus to pick us up again.

1 comment:

hear.t. and hue said...

oh so sad that beautiful clock's years end in 2017! wow ... that's crazy! those carvings are unbelievable!

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.