Saturday, July 24, 2010

St. Petersburg July 9

We arrived on July 9th, I looked off my balcony and was surprised when I burst into tears. It certainly wasn't the view. . . . I never thought I'd see Russia in my lifetime. Little known tidbit about me---I studied Russian history and literature (for fun!) in high school, college and as a young adult. I'd originally signed up for learning Russian in high school, but the teacher got pregnant, and they put me in German. . .the rest is history. But, I loved Russian novels, Russian history and although I loved reading about imperial Russia, I also read Ayn Rand's We the Living. So, to be in Russia, was a dream come true.
My tears of joy could have also been because this was the birthplace of our grandson Roman (pictured above in his orphanage). When I told our guide Tatyana that our grandson was adopted from Russia, she was so excited. The next day at a gift shop, she showed our photos to several young women: they jumped up and down giggling with excitement. Later she asked, "Does he live in a big house with a garden?" I said yes. "Does he have plenty of room to play and a swimming pool?" I had to assure her he had plenty of room to play but no swimming pool. She explained, "Our impressions of the United States are from Hollywood where everyone has a swimming pool." But, I digress.
We had arranged a private tour through DenRus Tours so we could see everything in St. Petersburg but at our own pace. It was Dave, me, Jim and Debbie on a private tour with Tatyana and Dmytri driving a Mercedes mini-van. With two days of touring, lunches, entrance fees, visas, wheel chair rental, we paid about $400 per person. One afternoon of touring on a Celebrity excursion in a group of 50 people would have been around $150 per person. We all felt this was definitely the way for us and would certainly do it again!
Although Dave can walk pretty well, I was concerned that the cobblestones would be too difficult for him, that we would have a lot of walking or that we might have to wait in lines.
This is the general admittance line at Hermitage. As it was, we went in a special pre-paid group entrance which is not to say that it was a handicapped entrance---that does not exist. To get into the Hermitage, was a challenge---because there were not even any handrails. Dave had to brace himself on a wall, use my arm as a railing, with Jim following if he fell backwards and Debbie carrying the wheelchair---at least 10 stone steps. Once inside, there was only one working elevator (an Otis). The second largest museum in the world with one elevator. As Dave said, "They need a Russian Disability Act."
We first took a brief road trip around St. Petersburg, first stopping at at park near the Peter and Paul Fortress which has a great view of the Hermitage/Winter Palace.
We learned that this is a popular place for weddings and newly weds. One tradition is to put a lock in this park to symbolize the marriage.
We did see dozens of wedding parties in this park later in the day.
We saw Peter the Great's first home---think cabin in the woods which was across the street from. . .
a gift shop. We were so surprised to see. . .
The Mizzou Tigers. . .
It featured Blaine Gabbert, Mizzou's quarterback who attended Parkway West (where our daughters went to school), whose grandparents live on the street behind us and whose family attends our church.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.