Thursday, July 1, 2010

Europe in 1972

A year after we were married, we decided to go to Europe for three weeks. Although I had lived there in the late 60's, it was Dave's first trip. First, we went to Switzerland, took a boat ride around Lake Geneva, but the next day we headed to northern Italy.
On our way there, we stopped at the Castle of Chillon---I'm standing next to Lord Byron's grafitti when he'd been there. Although we have lots of slides of Italy, I don't have any snapshots that I can find. We loved the lake district and stayed in northern Italy for four days: Boromeo Islands, Lake Como (yes, where George Clooney has a villa), Bolzano before heading through the Dolomites into Austria---not too far where they found the iceman.
After several days in Austria, we headed to Germany where we saw all of King Ludwig's castles---I'm pictured above in the Moorish kiosk at Linderhof. Below is in Rothenberg, I believe---definitely one of the villages along the Romantische Strasse.
We stayed in Prien, Oberammergau, Lindau, Memmingen (where I'd lived), Ulm, Augsburg, Dinkelsbuehl,Bad Mergenheim (and saw Baden-Baden), Freudenstadt, Oppenheim (where we visited with the uncle of one of Dave's friend who had a winery), Koblenz (where we took a Rhein River cruise).
Here's Dave writing post cards in front of the Cologne Cathedral.
At that time hotels were not like in the United States----we had to go down the hall to a shared restroom, the beds were a little short (note Dave's toes) with us sleeping under feather comforters, and in Amsterdam we had to carry our suitcases directly in front of us to climb the winding steps to our room. After walking around Amsterdam (witnessing a lot of people on drugs), and taking a canal ride, we went to the airport where we found our flight had been delayed. We had such a long delay, they took us out to a North Sea resort (Grand Hotel in Noordwijk aan Zee) where we spent the day and ate lunch.
We'll be returning to Amsterdam, soon, but our hotel won't be as quaint as Hotel Hiller, and we probably won't walk around Amsterdam very much, but we will be taking at least one boat ride and seeing a lot of the North Sea!

1 comment:

hear.t. and hue said...

such great pics!!!! :) love the one of dad writing postcards! HAVE FUN, BE SAFE & can't wait to hear all about it & see your NEW PICS! :) xo

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.