Thursday, July 8, 2010

Netherlands in 1985

We took our daughters to Europe for the first time in 1985. After driving a rental car for a week (or more) in Britain, we boarded a ship and crossed the English Channel to the Netherlands.

I wanted the girls to experience Europe---so we took a ship overnight (faster ferries were available, but. . .)---the accommodations were a little tight.
Traveling Europe with children 5-11 years old is a different experience than without---we did eat at McDonald's quite a bit. After our experience with drug-users in 1972, we chose not to go to Amsterdam. So, this McDonald's is in Rotterdam.
Then, we went to Maurodam which is a miniature city in the Netherlands.
How many people can say they've been to an amusement park in another country? This is De Efteling in the Netherlands which was a little like Six Flags and Story Book Forest in Pittsburgh, PA.
So, we are now going to Netherlands for a third time---back to Amsterdam, again. Dave and I are all grown up, but I'm hoping we can visit an amusement park I'd wanted to visit in 1985---Tivoli Gardens (in Copenhagen).

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.