Friday, August 6, 2010

Tivoli Gardens

Tivoli Gardens has been on my "bucket list" for many years. I'd originally wanted to come while on our 1985 trip, but we went to de Eftling in Netherlands instead.
It is near the Copenhagen City Hall on the left---look behind the lamp post to see Tivoli.
So, our "hop on, hop off" bus (18 Euros) dropped us off across the street from Tivoli Gardens---we just needed to negotiate about 8 lanes of traffic, but thankfully there were islands to help us.
Although it is not a large park, I reserved a wheel chair on line---it was free with a refundable deposit.As you can see, Dave was excited about being wheeled around. . .
By my dear brother (look above the soldier to see them crossing a bridge)
We were pretty surprised to see a Build-a-Bear Workshop which is a St. Louis company.
There were beautiful gardens. . .
And fountains. . .
And buildings that reminded us of. . .
Disney World. In fact this 150 year old amusement park was Walt Disney's inspiration for Disney World and Disneyland.

OK, you might not see the sign above in Disney World, but . . .

There were several small "streets" with shopping.That worked out great because Dave thought he needed a new pair of sunglasses.
There were typical carnival games---this one involved catapulting rubber chickens into soup pots which is what Suppengryden means in Danish.
We didn't ride any of the rides, but this was a cute one with Viking boats.

And this one was "It's a Small World" meets Hans Christian Anderson. Unfortunately, the cloudy day started raining. . .
But, it was almost lunch times, so we dashed inside to a Biergarten. . .
Where we had a delicious lunch before "hopping on" our bus and heading back to the ship.
For our afternoon "tea".

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.