Monday, August 16, 2010

Blackwater and Arrow Rock

In Mid-Missouri not too far from I-70 are a pair of towns that "time has forgotten": Blackwater and Arrow Rock. Our first stop was Black Water which was an old railroad town.
In the building above is a museum of telephony with all sorts of old switchboards.
Behind this building is the jail. . .
An iron two prisoner cell.
There are, of course, quaint shops including Imogene, the Pie Lady.
A small pocket garden where an abandoned building was. . .
And, a beautifully restored old hotel---Iron Horse.
Which had a beautiful garden and patio area in the back.
Then, we were off to Arrow Rock which is a National Historic Site with one of the oldest continuously run tavern (since 1834). . .
Of course we had lunch there, but. . .
There were also historical rooms.
Although the limestone gutters are interesting, they make crossing the street a bit hazardous.
There are other shops and historical buildings including this old court house.
It was featured in several of George Caleb Bingham's art. If you click on the link you'll see my favorite of his paintings which has Daniel Boone with a party of settlers which reportedly included one of my Maupin relatives. I think this is another sketch of him.
He's just identified as a pioneer here, but he bears resemblance to the man at Boone's left.
We also went to see "My Fair Lady" which was being performed at the theater there, an old Baptist Church which has a beautiful theater added to the back (handicap accessibility is to the side).
We enjoyed the play---a very professional production in mid-Missouri!

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.