Sunday, August 1, 2010

Tallinn, Estonia July 11

On July 11th, we were in Tallinn, Estonia. Again, we didn't sign up for a ship's excursion because we'd heard Tallinn was having a medieval festival, and we just wanted to walk around. Dave stayed on board the ship because it looked like it was about to rain and medieval town = cobble stones, not his best walking surface.
After walking to the edge of the dock, we bought tickets to a shuttle bus which took us to the edge of Old Town, but we could have shopped at the booths set up at the end of the dock, too.
Tallinn's old town is another UNESCO heritage site---with walls, narrow streets, gates in and out of the city.
We'd no sooner walked through one of the gates, when it started pouring down rain.
Fortunately, there was a covered McDonald's where we sat out the cloud burst.
I was a little surprised to see the McWraps being advertised. Although Estonia has been under Swedish, Danish, and Russian domination, the Estonian language is really more like Finnish.
After the rain, we started exploring---most of the streets are in a pedestrian zone.
Jim found in a shop a bust with larger ears than he has. . .
In a tribute to the photography of our parents, I took one of Jim and Deb (white pants, pink shirt).
The medieval market was in full swing---there were a lot of flax and linen fabric for sale.
Although they sometimes sold contemporary items, the crafts people were all dressed in medieval clothing.

And, some were even making items on the spot.
We even saw some boatmaking. . .
Afterwards, we walked along the village streets. . .
Some even found a good source for vodka and gin.
As we headed back, we noticed our ship was quite a bit larger than the Silver Seas' ship beside us.
We were ready for a day at sea, after 5 straight days of touring. For more about our previous days' trips, click here.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.