Thursday, March 3, 2011

Almost Tea Time

The recipes are out. . .

The favors are ready. . .
The table is set. . .
And, I'm all dressed up and ready to go. What is it about my family and tea parties?
This will be my fourth tea party since last May and the fourth in our family. First, was one at church. Then, we had one for my aunt's memorial service. My granddaughter's first birthday party was an expansion of her 3 year old cousin's birthday party---Mad Hatter! Click here for both of them.
So, is it because of Grandma Wicker, Vennie (pictured above)? She grew up as a foster child with several wealthier families. Did she ingrain in us an appreciation of finer things?
Or was it my other grandmother Vivian Maupin Long who came from fairly recent English roots? Her grandmother was the white haired woman on the left, Frances Glanville Reed, who married William Farncombe Reed who came from England and Frances's own parents and older brother were also from England. So my great-grandmother seated beside her (Anna Reed Maupin) was 100% English.

Maybe it was a little of both. . . just in case my friend Ed sees this I am NOT talking about the Tea Party---no signs or bullhorns! Just an elegant setting, delicious finger foods, tea and good company.

1 comment:

Leah Warren said...

I see a lot of anna in you in the second to last pic! (Have I already pointed that out?)

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.