Monday, July 9, 2012

Drought and Heat

 With 10 days over 100 degrees and very little rain, my yard has begun showing signs of stress---dried out leaves,
 and brown patches of grass that the irrigation system doesn't get to.
 Even the honeysuckle bushes are showing drooping leaves (they are considered an invasive series and SHOULD be eradicated).
But, I hate to see my dogwoods with curled leaves!
 And, my hydrangeas and other shrubs that I planted (high bush cranberry?)
 Below shows where how our underground gutter run-off is keeping the grass green.
 So, with irrigation on daily, hoses dripping to the trees all day and night (see an earlier photo), we are hanging in there.  But, I still have the irresistible urge to save and toss my dish water to D's frustration!

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.