Monday, December 9, 2013

Falmouth Jamaica


 Our first destination was Falmouth Jamaica which is a relatively new port although the town and plantations have been around since the 1700's.  Yes, that handsome, smiling face is our grandson.

The new port area is large with many stores and restaurants. But we were headed on an excursion to the Good Hope Plantation for High Tea.  We first stopped at the bottom of the hill and then went to the top of the hill where the plantation house was.

Dave enjoying the shade (it was in the 80's) in front of the house.  Just below us was the carriage house which is a B and B now.

For a person who likes to take window shots, this was magnificent.

The ceiling was so interesting.  Later we found out it was cedar shake.  Although it had gaps and holes, the guide said it doesn't leak because the water swells the shingles.



The rooms were decorated with beautiful antiques sometimes mixed with contemporary art.  The bath tub (made of granite?) was inlaid with beautiful tiles.  Although it was so hot outside, Dave had a hard time with the handrails, the room was surprisingly cool with breezes throughout the house---these louvers aided in the cross breeze.
As is common in this age of house, there was a separate building for kitchen (which is where our lunch was prepared).

But, I had never seen a separate building for counting money which was across from the area where we had high tea.  For more on the estate, click here.


Then, it was time for High Tea with savories and sweets.  I also opted for the ginger tea---homemade and delicious.


Then, we returned to the "Welcome Center" across from which was a potter.

I thought it was a wonderful excursion although not really handicap accessible (which it was advertised as)

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.