Thursday, December 12, 2013

Grand Cayman

 Grand Cayman is a tender port (we have to take a boat to the port) which gives us an opportunity to see the bow and aft of the ship---Steamboat Willie is on the bow (see below), but Donald and his nephew are on the aft. We went on this excursion last year (Click here), enjoyed it so much that we recommended Deb join us this year again:  a tour of Georgetown and a boat tour of the mangroves.


 The mangroves are very important to the ecology of these islands.  They tolerate growing in a salty environment, protect the islands from hurricanes, and protect small marine animals from larger predators.

 The leaves have a salty taste when you lick them and the pods aren't seeds but immature mangroves which drop in the water, sink to the bottom where the heavy end takes root.



 
 There are other plants like this "sea weed" which was actually very crispy feeling.  When crushed it forms a white powder contributing to the sand.

 These little animals squirt water when massaged.
 And, these "snowflakes" are jelly fish which capture their food by hanging upside down. Their sting is barely perceptible as we all touched them.


 Then, we road through the canals looking for iguanas and seeing all of the lovely homes including the one below which was just being built. 


 No trip to Grand Cayman is complete without a trip to Hell, a rock formation (not volcanic). There is a wonderfully tacky gift shop there with rest rooms---looks like a Mom/Pop operation with Pop dressed as the devil.

 Finally, we were taken to the beach where we could walk and peer off at our ship anchored off shore.





No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.