Sunday, June 28, 2009

Household Hazards


Most of our home improvements the past few years have been to make our home safer. First, we added hand-rails (above). Then, we remodeled several bathrooms to make them more handicapped accessible. Actually, this bathroom was a half bath. We didn't have a full bath on the first floor, so this room had to be gutted to add the shower and tub.
Last summer, we had this brick walk re-laid---roots had made it wavy, so the roots were cut out and the bricks were set again.
When we had a tile floor put in, we had to lay it on top of the existing floor which means the carpeted area is about an inch below. It became a bit hazardous in to the family room, so we had a "ramp" put in (most people can't even feel it) that eases a person down into the family room.
Soon, we will have our driveway replaced.
This year's hazards that I've lost sleep over were some old ammunition we had for shotguns that have long been sold. I knew I couldn't throw them into the trash, but when I called the Hazardous Waste people, Missouri Natural Resource and our trash hauler, no one knew what I should do with them short of putting them in a shotgun and using them. Finally, I called our local police and they said, "Sure bring them in."

I had a busy day yesterday. We came home from vacation and found a large amount of rain had eaten away our yard by the curb. It may be hard to tell but it's deeper than the pavement---around 10-12". My brother has put 3 large bags of rock in this hole, but they've washed away. So, I called the city, described the situation and said, "I'm afraid someone is going to break a leg getting out of a car. At least bring an orange cone to set there." While I was at the police department dispensing with the shotgun shells, I came home to this. . .
I have hitching posts out front, so if you want to ride by on your horse, we have a place for you to tie up Trigger.
My final hazard is this war souvenir. While talking to the Hazardous Waste and Missouri Natural Resouce people, I asked about radio-active items. I found out that if I call "Skip" at the Route 66 State Park (AKA Times Beach Superfund Site), he should have a geiger counter to test it because as my Mom's note on the back says. . .my dad picked it up just a few weeks after the atomic bomb hit Nagasaki. Meanwhile, I worry if my basement is a glowing from this weapon or if it is indeed the dustbuster on charge.

1 comment:

hear.t. and hue said...

funny ... just this morning brett was telling me we needed to buy his horse "harriet" from the barn. at least we'll know where to park it at grandma's.

by the way ... you know the city works were laughing their ARSE off when they dropped those off.

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.