Sunday, June 21, 2009

Fry Reunion 2009: Tuesday and Wednesday

Dave, me, Rebecca, Roman, Leah and Eli all drove to Phoenix X for a family reunion of Dave's cousins and families. Although Roman loved the beach, Eli never quite adjusted to the sand, but they both had loads of fun!
They loved this little "cave" Leah made for them to play in. Sometimes Eli would go there to "get away from us all"---I nicknamed it "Eli's World."
Between 8 and 10 AM, Grandma went out to play with the boys in the pool---probably my favorite part of the day. I don't think the pool was supposed to open until 9, but these munchkins were up before 6 AM, so we had the pool to ourselves at 8 AM.
This was just a funny photo---Leah is computing while talking on a Fisher-Price phone, with Roman watching on a ball. If you know Roman, you know these quiet moments are pretty rare.
Here are the boys as we head out for the Outlet Mall. This is not some fancy photo shop---Becky's camera was fogged up, but I love this photo.
Across from the Outlet Mall was a Cracker Barrel with an empty parking lot---we made a bee-line for it. Eli loved the spiced apples---he'd already finished off Leah's and Grandpa shared his.
But, all good things come to an end---Grandpa ran out of spiced apples.
Joel had to leave early Wednesday morning. He had been a big help with Roman especially. (note the lack of swimmers at 8:15 AM)
Eli enjoyed the sand---in the shade, on a towel, but Roman was off making "friends" and exploring.
Roman is the second from the right with his new "friends" watching someone fish.
But, he also made friends with cousins---Savannah (Arlene's granddaugher) is above.
Here he is with Jensen (Arlene's granddaughter) in the pool.
Wednesday evening was Fry Family Meeting. We came with appetizers to the Caver's condo. They'd had a pretty exciting day with Brice C. (their 2.5 year old grandson) breaking his collar bone.
Suzy shared some historical documents with us from the Fry Family Archives (at her home)
But, then we had to get down to business: Arlene shared the trust finances, we discussed the memorial stone for the 9 siblings, we discussed how to make the reunions more inclusive and where our next reunion would be. Several are looking into other options, but we'll probably be back to Phoenix X in 2011 which is a great value and family friendly. As Joel and I have noted, "It is equally inconvenient for everyone." Other than Tom and Donna, it's between 500-700 miles for all of us in Missouri, Texas, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Maryland, West Virginia.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.