Thursday, June 4, 2009

Shakespeare Festival

Every May, a group of us teachers, administrators (some retired) from my school district go to the Shakespeare Festival in Forest Park. The weather is often "iffy" and indeed this was our "rain date."
Although the play starts at 8 PM, we go early enough to have a picnic dinner.
There is entertainment before the play---jugglers, comedians, magicians, belly dancers. This play features the character Falstaff. Note the shield by the balcony---it's the symbol of the old Falstaff beer made in St. Louis area (originally it was Lemp brewery)
It's in a beautiful natural amphitheater just beside Art Hill---the Art Museum parking lots gives ample parking. They did improve the site with better drainage than in previous years when it could get pretty muddy.
When the sun went down, it did get a little chilly--here's Fran modelling the latest in table cloths (clothes?).
Although it is illegal to take a photo during the play---this was at the intermission and I think it was OK---I just wanted a photo of the set lit up. My review: the acting was perfect (hamming it up), I loved the 1920's set with appropriate music, the weather was good, the atmosphere perfect, but it's just not one of Shakespeare's great plays. It IS a great outing with my "teacher friends": Fran, Mary Janet, Sue, Kathy B.(Kathy G.---we missed you).

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.