Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Botanical Inspiration, Green Cusine


The Missouri Botanical Garden (AKA Shaw's Garden) is someplace I could visit weekly. Last week I went to get some inspiration. My gardens were looking a little drab and I wanted some ideas. I loved the textures and colors in the pot above.
The vegetable garden looked a lot like mine with chicken wire around the perimeter to keep the rabbits out.I thought his hanging basket was interesting---all foliage and no flowers---that would work well in my shady yard.
I often wonder what to do with bulb foliage and iris after blooming. They were doing the same thing as I'm doing---just leaving the foliage without too much over planting. The iris above form a lovely backdrop for the other flowering perennials.
Above is a plant I remember my mother having---never knew the name---Tickseed sounds like it needs a new name (like "rapeseed" became "canola"). Any suggestions?
We always enjoy lunch at the Garden also.
It has a very healthy menu with indoor and outdoor seating.
We chose to eat inside last week because the outdoor seating in the shade was filled, but here's a photo of Dave last April when we were there.

1 comment:

Leah Morgan Korbel said...

You are right. Coreopsis = tickseed. another one I like-coriander became cilantro when salsa moved more into mainstream cuisine. (and "stuff to eat" became "cuisine", come to think of it :)

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.