Monday, June 1, 2009

Jefferson Barracks

Jefferson Barracks is a national, state and county site. In 1826, Jefferson Barracks was a military post with a cemetery. President Lincoln and an act of Congress made it a National Cemetery in 1866 although the adjoining site continues to have military associations. Behind the plane, was the site of the first parachute drop.
Hmm, wonder if Kyle could get stationed here?

But, most of us in the St. Louis area think of Jefferson Barracks as one of the most beautiful National Cemeteries. I love these images that my friend Nancy Helmer took.
I asked our tour guide Linda why Hawaii's National Cemetery has recessed stones when other National Cemeteries don't. She said they tried to convert all of them to recessed stones but people on the mainland didn't like them. I have to say, seeing all of those stones standing in formation like the servicemen they represent always brings a tear to my eye.
I was surprised to see several recessed stones on our tour---they were all mass-graves.
This is one our JB Tour Guide still gets emotional about.
Double click on the photo to read their story.
This is the back of the stone of 1st Lt. Michael J. Blassie who was the "Unknown Soldier" from Viet Nam in Arlington National Cemetery . Through DNA, his remains were identified and he was interred here.
Here is one that is near and dear to many in St. Louis---Jack Buck the Cardinals Sports announcer. One family had even hand-written a note and left it there.

Although Mother, Dad, and Grover are all buried here, we didn't get that far into the cemetery on our tour. We also, didn't get to see the historic part of the cemetery nor any confederate stones which are shaped with a point at the top so "Yankees won't sit on them" or so the story goes. . .

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.