Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Alpine Skier


When people would ask where I've skied, I used to love to tell people I learned to ski in the Alps. Outside of speaking German and learning the culture, I had two goals: learn to yodel and learn to ski. I achieved one of those goals. My friend Helga (above in left corner all in black) and I took a bus to the mountains every weekend for about six weeks. I'm, above with a white coat, black hat and sunglasses.
My instructor spoke a dialect of German I couldn't understand, so Helga (who could speak no English) would translate into a German I could understand). We definitely learned "old school." There was no "bunny hill", but the instructor just would take us to a hill, where we would all side step up, ski down, side step up again. He didn't believe in lifts---he said side stepping up would build muscles or at least that's what I understood him to say.
Again I'm in the front with black hat, sunglasses, white jacket---do you see a lift?
Double click on the letter above for another story about Helga's and my skiing experience.
While in Germany, I was technically a teacher. I accompanied one of the classes as a chaperon to a ski lodge where we skied for five days. The real benefit was the ski-instructor was Robert Stepp, the English teacher I worked with. My skiing improved considerably, and I later skied in Austria and Switzerland. In later years, I skied in Iowa, Michigan, Colorado. While we lived in Pennsylvania I learned to cross-country ski which I continued after we moved back to St. Louis. BUT, I learned to ski in the Alps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

White coat, sunglasses and hat. Really, I thought it was Audrey Hepburn.

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.