Thursday, February 4, 2010

It's True: I'm a Dancer

The Urban Dictionary says of my name: A beautiful and talented young women who is capable of singing, dancing, and looking great. Jaclyns are known to be tall, kindhearted, and extremely witty.I'm on the end on the right and my cousins Steve and Bob are in the middle.

I'll be the first to admit I'm neither tall nor young, but I used to be a good dancer. The program above goes with the photo.
My cousins and I took dance lessons in St. Louis at what was a very good studio---I know one girl went on to have her own television show where she danced and sang (her name was NOT Jaclyn). Judy Heitman (the daughter of the owners) was in dance club with me in college.
This was the "Lazy Mary and Lazy Johnny" number. . . Between that time and high school, we couldn't really afford dance lessons, but I never stopped dancing. When I wanted to try out for the modern dance club in high school, we were very fortunate that my mother's good friend was Lillian Krupinski who had a dance studio in her home. She gave me a few lessons to "brush up", I auditioned and made the dance club.

After being in the Terpsichore Dance Club in high school, I also auditioned and made Terpsichore in college too.
As an adult, I still dance. . . when reading a book which described the Charleston, I demonstrated the dance for my students (yes, I did pull a muscle). Just this week, I was subbing and the students didn't like the assignment we were working on. I asked if it would help if I tap danced. . .

But, my favorite is when my grandson Eli presses the button on the Fisher-Price Mayflower causing it to play a sailor's song and he says, "Dance, Grandma, dance!"

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.