Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Valentine Follow-up

In a previous post, I showed the Valentines I sent, but you didn't see that I included money in each card. Since I'd won a lot of singles at Thanksgiving, I thought I'd give them back to the grandchildren for special occasions. With 6 grandchildren, that $33 won't last long, but. . .

I thought I'd share some of the reactions to the money.

First, Roman----he opened his card, his mother left the room and came back to see that he'd shredded one of the dollar bills with scissors----they taped it back together and took it to the bank for an exchange.

Eli went shopping at the Dollar Store and made some wonderful purchases. Click here to read about them on Leah's blog.

Davis found the cards with the mail while we were there. He felt the card and said, "Is there money in here?" Me: "I forgot." Davis: "You FORGOT to put money in the card?" Me: "No, I forgot if I put money in the card." Davis: "I only like dollar bills and coins." Me: "So, if it's a million dollar check you don't want it?"Later, when he opened the envelope and found 3 one dollar bills, he said disappointedly, "They all have ones on them." Me: "Bring me your wallet, Davis." (I'd seen that he had a wallet with several ones in it.) "Do you want a bill with a different number?" He nodded yes. "Then, give Grandpa 5 one dollar bills and he will give you a five dollar bill." I'm not sure that made him happy either, since he'd traded 5 bills for one---I think he wanted to trade 5 one dollar bills for 5 five dollar bills, but wouldn't we all like a trade like that?

1 comment:

Aunt Jane said...

That's ok Davis at least grandma didn't trade you a nickle for a dime because the nickle was better. Personally, I think you really have to watch her and I totally understand your suspicion about giving her all those one dollar bills and only getting one five dollar bill.

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.