Monday, February 1, 2010

Happy Birthday Girls!

L-R: Amy M., Rachel, Jamie C., Rebecca, Carrie N.
Although Rachel and Leah's birthdays are only a day apart, they only had one shared birthday party in 1982. Typically we alternated years with friend birthday party and family special dinner. We also had one with a cake and one with a pie. But, one year they were forced to share, so they're sharing the blog, too.
The Big Girls' Table
But, back to 1982. . . .that was the year of THUNDER SNOW around Jan. 30! If you've never had thunder snow, you never want it--we had two feet of snow. Even the snow plows gave up. I think we've only had it one other time since 1982. We were all house-bound---our street was not even cleared. Click here for more information about this storm. If I recall, we didn't even get mail delivered for days. After several days, everyone was going nuts, so we had a birthday party!
L-R: Kelly N., Emily M, Leah
We hired the teenager across the street (Meg F.) to go from house to house to pick up the neighborhood guests. She slipped the kids into trashbags because the snow was so deep the snow just piled right back onto the kids. I'm sorry I don't have any photos---just getting 5 little girls into the house, out of boots, coats was more important.

Since a lot of planning didn't go into this party, it looks like we had grilled cheese sandwiches, chocolate milk and I seem to recall some kind of dessert we made with snow---a snow ice cream? Maybe some of the girls can remember more about this birthday.

2 comments:

hear.t. and hue said...

umm... WOW. i'm also noticing the heavy glass mugs you let everyone use for their chocolate milk! wowzers. you must really have lost all your marbles during this snow storm! :) [or was this before juice boxes, juice pouches & before sippy cups & plastic cups with straws were a dime a dozen?]

Jaclyn Morgan said...

WAY before juice boxes and pouches! I don't recall sippy cups or anything like that either.

Besides, I still love those glass mugs--wish I had a few more when the kids are here---they don't tip very easily.

If you read the weather service article, we were predicted to have a light dusting, so no one was prepared! Typically for a group like that, we would have had paper cups, but.. . .

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.