Saturday, February 27, 2010

Driving South Through Missouri

When we left St. Louis, it was 15 degrees---we saw a lot of ice on the bluffs heading down I-55.
It was definitely still winter outside with no sign of Spring.
As we headed south through Missouri, the rocks changed, but still no signs of Spring.
Even as far south as Hayti, it was just 25 degrees, but at least the gas was pretty cheap.
In Blytheville, Arkansas, the warming began---I got to meet my cousin Ricky whose family I've corresponded with for over 30 years. His grandfather and my great-grandfather were brothers (Wicker); his grandmother and my great-grandmother were first cousins (Williams), so we're double cousins. Ricky was every bit as sweet and laid back as I always thought he was. I was a little surprised by his height since that's the side of the family I get my stature from. I really enjoyed meeting him and hearing more about his family. We'll have to do that again sometime!

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.