Monday, March 1, 2010

Driving Miss. "Bama"

At the Mississippi Welcome Center we saw fat buds on a bush (Magnolia) with an ever-green Magnolia in the background. Actually, we are heading South a little earlier than usual. Click here to see this same bush in bloom.
When we arrived at our hotel in Jackson, Mississippi, we were welcomed to a fairly common winter planting---pansies and cabbage or kale.
At an Alabama McDonald's north of Mobile, we saw our first palm tree.
We usually take the interstate around Mobile, but we were rewarded with a beautiful drive through Mobile with Spanish moss hanging from trees. . .
And, beautiful houses. . .
And, a Mardi Gras tree? Enlarge it and you'll see it's covered with beads, tinsel. Sorry, New Orleans, this is the birth place of Mardi Gras in the United States.
A short trip through Bankhead Tunnel, and we were almost in Orange Beach.
It was a little cool, but warmer than up North! And a lot less snowy than the East!

1 comment:

Leah Warren said...

I thought it would quiet Eli down to show him where you are rather than him asking every 5 minutes where you are...we'll see if it works!

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.