Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Citygarden

One beautiful day last week, we had to get outside. Everyone else headed for Forest Park where there were traffic jams, but we went to the Citygarden, a new sculpture garden in Downtown St. Louis.
It is basically two city blocks between the Civil Courts Building and the St. Louis Arch area. Double click to enlarge the map above---handicapped parking is along Market. The red building to the right is a cafe with outdoor seating.



It has been built in three levels mirroring the topography of the area (double click to read the about the three bands: Northern River Bluffs, Middle Floodplain, Southern River Terrace).
Here you can see the "bluffs" with a screen that shows movies at night.
This is a moving sculpture similar to the one by our library. This is called "Four Rectangles Oblique" by George Rickey.
I tried to tell Dave this looked like a yoga position----I was close: "Tai Chi Single Whip" by Ju Ming.
This is probably my favorite piece---it looks like it's from some ancient statue. It is the "dismembered head of Eros, the Greek god of Love by Igor Mitoraj. I should have taken the photo when people were inside waving through the eye sockets.
Looking back, I could see the Old Courthouse and the Arch. I like how one of the legs of the arch is a reflection in the glass building.
There are two moving LED displays. This one is" Kiera and Julian Walking" by Julian Opie.
This is "Kindly Geppetto" by Tom Otterness---hammering a puppet like he did with Pinocchio.
And speaking of Pinocchio, this is called "Big White Gloves, Big Four Wheels" by Jim Dine.
Above is "La Riviere" by Ariste Maillol: "the personification of water".
Nearby was "Femmes au Perroquet" by Fernand Lenger.
There are 23 sculptures including the untitled rabbits above by Tom Claassen. They range in age from 1952-2009 and are by artists from Netherlands, United States, England, Italy, France, Japan, Belgium, Taiwan, Poland, and Wales. The park has water features which the children can enjoy in warm weather and "dance chimes" which a group was having fun with when we were there.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.