Tuesday, March 2, 2010

LuLu's

We went to LuLu's, a restaurant we'd heard about for several years, but never made it to. The Twenters would think they'd died and gone to Heaven. It's quirky, it's fish-campy, it's colorful, and it's run by Jimmy Buffett's sister.
Even the bathroom shows the whimsy through out the restaurant and its grounds.
It's a little hard to get to, especially if you use Garmin which wants to take you across a bridge that has "been gone for 30 years." Basically, you cross this bridge in Gulf Shores over the Inland Water Way and make right turns. The Garmin way was very frustrating, because I could SEE it, but couldn't get there, so I just called for directions.
There's a nice out-door sand area for children to play in---there are just not that many children in Gulf Shores in February/March.
Above--"LuLu's Fountain for Youth" on the edge of the sandy play area.
But, there's also beach volley-ball. . .
a beverage bar. . .
and near where we sat, a big screen displaying an aquarium, family Buffett photos and on the right a framed photo of the Blue Angels. . .
And the gift shop isn't to be missed, either. All in all worth the drive from Flora-Bama, but I'm not sure I want to get near it in summer. The parking lot was packed and there were only 5 handi-capped places. BUT, I can highly recommend it. . . oh, and the food was good at not too bad of a price.

1 comment:

hear.t. and hue said...

looks AWESOME! in every way! love those types of restaurants - yes, perfect for the twenters. :) reminds me a bit [location/positioning-wise] of the 2 restaurants on north padre island which are right at the base of the SPID bridge. daddy looks cute in his new shirt!!!!! :) enjoy the rest of your trip! :)

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.