Saturday, March 6, 2010

Early Spring in Orange Beach

Although it's not WARM in February/March, there seems to be plenty of things to do . . . .I met a distant cousin of mine whom I met through genealogy. . . .she's my grandmother Vivian Maupin Long's great-niece.
She brought along her cousin on her dad's side who lived near me---we had a lot in common, too.
But, we also could sit on our balcony watching the birds . . .
And choppers from the nearby Pensacola Naval Air Station.
I took walks on the beach and found my favorites: scallop shells!And, we managed some reading---on the balcony and inside. But all of that happens when we come in the summer---what's different about early spring?

Well, "hot spots" were virtually empty. See my blog on LuLu's. Only the Flora-Bama Bar on Saturday night was crowded. That big white parking lot above was PACKED and at least two dozen motor cycles were parked in front of Flora-Bama (across the street from the parking lot).
Also, the lawn and garden crew didn't have much to do, but still needed to be paid, so they used the weed-eater on . . . .?
We had a "winter storm" come through plummeting temperatures into the 30's (but we didn't get Atlanta's snow).
People wore all sorts of clothes---long pants and a jacket vs. swim trunks and no shirt.
It's very easy to get a chair around the pool!
The beach chairs arrived, but not before someone left a message in the sand that I approve of!

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.