Sunday, February 7, 2010

Girl Scout Dancing

Although I said in the previous post that I had no dance training after I was 5 years old, that's not quite true. My Girl Scout troop participated in "folk dancing." The couple pictured above were Mr. and Mrs. Murphy who were the parents of our Girl Scout leader, Betty White. They had wonderful patience to teach all of us dancing. Pictured behind them are Joan Muskopf, ??, Kathy Suessdorf, me, Margie Boone and Kathy Hoerig.
In addition to Kathy and Margie, Carol Parsons is above---I don't really remember the other names. I think we met once a week in the Murphys' basement for dancing. The Murphys even brought Sheila, a Scotswoman, who taught us Scottish dancing---I remember dancing with "swords" on the ground.
L-R standing: Susan White (Murphys were her grandparents), Diana DeLong, Donna???
seated: Patty Carter, Carol Rittel, me.
I think we were in 6th grade because I later looked back at that year and laughed that Laurie was considered tall. L-R: Jane Burggrabe, Laurie Babbitt, Kathy Suessdorf; kneeling: Annette Hampe, Jeanne Bowron, Karen Lederle.
Eight of these "girls" are still friends of mine whom I e-mail, visit, have lunch with, see at reunions or at church. We didn't always get so dressed up, but our dancing put us with a much larger group which was the highlight of my dancing "career."
We danced on the field of Busch Stadium (or, Sportsmen's Park) during a Cardinal baseball game. I remember that we glowed under black light. Our Girl Scout leader, Betty White is the fourth "boy" from the right. And, our troop curves around beginning with Mrs. White. (Double-click to enlarge, then use your back arrow to return to the page)
This photo is from the Arena---dancing for a large Girl Scout Festival.  And, yes I am in that photo---in the back. My friend Margie is to the left and I am the one next to her with my head turned---notice the artistic placement of the bow on the back of my head.

I just hope that after seeing this, Margie, Carol, Carol, Kathy, Kathy, Joan, Jane and Laurie will still be my friends after they know that I published these photos from our. . .awkward years. But, it really was one of the most exciting moments of my life to be on that big field with all of those people dancing---every year the half-time show of the Orange Bowl always reminds me of this moment.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Hmmm. I see you left out the toe shoe lessons from Lillian. No performances. But we sure had the blisters.

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.