Saturday, June 5, 2010

Dino Quest


This dinosaur exhibit at the Missouri Botanical Garden (AKA Shaw's Garden) is fairly child-friendly. Although the children can't climb on the dinosaurs, they don't move or make scary noises either. Some of the exhibits like the one above don't cost anything, but to see the bulk of them, there is a nominal cost.
There were however a few rules (above)
There were a number of birds in the exhibit. I'm not sure if they are always there or if they were brought in to show the similarities to their distant ancestors.
Above shows a white dove at a feeder beside a "dinosaur nest".

While we usually think of T-Rex and other huge dinosaurs, this exhibit had many that really did resemble birds of today.
These (above) reminded me of a cross between a stork and a swan.
These are black and white and resemble water fowl you might see today.
These reminded me of road-runners
But, they also had a play area---above you can see Roman trying to pick out a costume to wear---meanwhile the camera spied a scary "dinosaur"---is that Grandma?
There were also puzzles. . .
And puppets. . .
and dinosaur "poop". Roman wondered, "Why is there a fork and napkin by the poop?" Hmm
Although most of the exhibit was in the Climatron there was this large bird in the Temperate House and a mother and her babies on the grounds.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.