Thursday, June 10, 2010

Happy 39th Anniversary!

After being at a 40th Anniversary party last weekend, I am so glad we got married a year later---at least Dave's tux isn't blue!
While at that party last weekend, my daughter and I were talking about bridesmaids. She said she wasn't even invited to the wedding of one of hers. I made a conscious decision not to have friends in my wedding. I had my sister, Susan and Rose. Susan and Rose were not technically related, but they were closer than "friends". Susan's mother had been my mother and aunt's friend since high school---Bitsy even made all of my bridesmaids and wedding dresses. Rose was married to my uncle Ron and although she was my "aunt", she wasn't that much older and I considered her an older sister.
My maid of honor was my sister and Dave's best man was his brother Harry.
L-R: Jack Corrigan, Tom Morgan, Rose Long, Harry Morgan, Jane Provost, me, Dave, Elliott McDaniel, Susan Lieber, Harry Provost, Jim Long.
My daughters evened out their wedding parties with candle lighters and readers. I would have had Dorthy Schwend, Mary Anthony Long, Kathleen Delaney, Cheryl Wassmund (cousins) to even out the genders a little better. I still would not have had friends. As it was, they got other duties, I believe, like the guest book.
We had no idea our mothers would both be in pink. If I can recall the pinks didn't match as well as in this photo.
I love that I had my grandparents at my wedding. Dave's grandmother Ellice was still living, but she was in Florida. My daughters were fortunate to have three out of four grandparents still living for their weddings. I just had Roy living---Lena was his second wife.
I don't know why I had that train---it was just netting that I bought at a fabric store---no big deal. But, I am "almost a baby boomer"---the brides a little younger didn't even have that because it was pointless.
Cutting our wedding cake---no, we did not stuff in each other's faces---that was more of a Baby-boomer thing, maybe.
This was one of my least favorite wedding gifts---couldn't sell it, couldn't throw it out, couldn't donate it to Goodwill, and couldn't use it to serve cookies---purely decorative. . . and it has the wrong address of the church, just like the invitation. Dyscalculia strikes again.

2 comments:

Maid of Honor Jane said...

And the joke for a long time was we were sure if you guys were really married. The preacher said "Let me introduce to you Mr. and Mrs. Dave Long." Or was that Mr. and Mrs. Jackie Long.

Congratulations Dave and Jaci. You stayed married longer than any of the cousins, regardless of how you were introduced.

hear.t. and hue said...

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!! :) always wondered about the train / netting! WOW it was long! :) ha ha

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.