Saturday, June 12, 2010

Treasure in the Garage

While cleaning up an area of the garage, I got on the ladder and pulled a box down. From the dust on the box, it had not been opened in YEARS.
It was obviously an old box that had moved from St. Louis to Los Angeles. . .
And, back to St. Louis. When I opened it, I almost fell off the ladder. . .
It was the box of children's toys that went missing about 15 years ago. I was so distraught one summer when I couldn't find some of these, that I started re-buying many of these pieces on E-bay because I was sure they accidentally were taken to Good Will.

One surprise was my autographed book from Joan Walsh Anglund. . .
Rachel bought this for me a few years ago because she knew how much I love the Fisher-Price Little People and mourned the loss of that box of toys.
But, mostly it had my daughters' Fisher-Price toys---many of them are quite old with wooden bodies.
So, many Sesame St. pieces---the phone booth the count is in is dated 1973---guess I bought it at a garage sale---notice Mr. Roger's trolley which we acquired when we lived in Pittsburgh.
Some of the circus animals are quite old---the staircase to the house has a little room under it like Harry Potter!
Here are some other pieces----baby nursery, castle and misc. pieces.
Although I'm happy I found them, why couldn't I have found them BEFORE I re-bought many of them! So, Girls, are there any of these pieces you'd really like to have because I, now, have WAY too many Fisher Price Little People.

2 comments:

Jane said...

I love the Fisher Price toys so much I am buying them again too.
Sister Jane

Leah Warren said...

Fun, can't wait for Eli to see them!!! We would love any of the duplicates that the others don't want, but I'm sure you have room for most of this stuff : )

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.