Thursday, March 29, 2012

Would Grover Have Liked This?

 My daughter, Leah, got me interested in emeals.  (Read her blog here.)  They provide a week's worth of meals, recipes and shopping list.  Leah uses the organic menus which are for Whole Foods for 4 people. 
 Ours is Walmart Low Fat for two people.  Tonight we had the menu above with the recipes below.  It was delicious and under 200 calories.
 But, when I got the "kale chips" out of the oven, I had to think of my father-in-law Grover who used to eat dinner with us.  One night, he accused me of feeding him weeds out of my garden (mixed greens) and he really didn't go for stir-fried green beans.  Beans were supposed to cook all day on the stove with bacon!
I am sure he would have thought I'd lost my mind with these Kale chips---maybe accuse me of giving him toasted sea weed. . .or he would have told me how his mother stewed it on the stove for three days.  Really, Grover, they were delicious!  Yeah, I can imagine you shaking your head in Heaven! 

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.