Friday, August 17, 2012

Transportation Museum with Anna and Eli

 In March, the Transportation Museum opened a new Visitor's Center, but we headed for the train ride around the lower part of the property.

 Leah decided to take a nap as we made the circuit twice.
My favorite part was of course a MoPac caboose.
 Then we headed for a tram which took us up the hill to the indoor exhibit area where we saw some beautiful classic cars including. . . .
 The Bobby Darin car which Eli thought might have flames shoot out.
 I also learned about the beginning of Enterprise Rent-a-Car starting in Lindburg Cadillac in 1957.
And we saw a small part of the Coral Court Motel saved when it was torn down 10 years ago.
 After a train ride, tram ride, we also got a trolley ride---it sure took me back to my childhood.
 For some reason, the driver had disconnected the bell that sounded when the cord above Anna was pulled.


 The tunnel below was the first railroad tunnel west of the Mississippi, but was abandoned because it used a single rail.  It is, according to my father, the reason the museum was built in that location---the tunnel served (and serves) as a storage shed.
 Of course the kids were surprised at how large the trains were and
 posed for us on another MoPac Caboose.
Naptime?  Not exactly but Eli thought it would be fun to sleep on a train!  We had a great time and need to go more often.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.