Monday, February 4, 2013

Galveston Embarkation


After we left Tremont House, we drove around the Seawall section of Galveston.  I loved its mix of old and new.   When I mentioned to my daughter how much I loved Galveston, she was surprised because she didn't like it when she visited several years ago.  We finally figured out the difference.  I see it as a typical English Beach Town with old buildings, wide promenades and unobstructed views of the ocean.  She was expecting more American beach town:  high condos on beachfront property and restaurants on the water.  With an amusement park on a pier, it was just like Brighton in England (and many of our east coast beach towns)

But, the Grand Dame of Galveston was where we were headed---Hotel Galvez.  Our Tremont House Hotel (across the island from Seawall) had a package that with valet parking, we could drive to Hotel Galvez to park our car on the cruise and take a shuttle to the ship.  I don't think I have ever waited for a shuttle in a more beautiful setting. (and I have added a hotel to my bucket list)




Hotel Galvez:  Built at a cost of $1,000,000, this hotel was financed by local businessmen and public subscribers to help the economy of Galveston following the 1900 Hurricane, completed in 1911.  Designed by the St. Louis firm of Mauran and Russell in Spanish Colonial style.. . .  
Above is the view waiting for the shuttle.  We arrived at the ship and after a brief lunch, went to our upgraded mini-suite.  It was about the same size as our Disney room, but with 2 televisions.  Although we only had one bathroom, we had a tub here, too.  Our balcony was a bump out so had an unobstructed view of the stars (and sun).  This view is in the port of Galveston---not very different from most departure ports.


No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.