Friday, April 26, 2013

Quilt Show: Contemporary

 As part of an Amish tour of Arthur, IL, we went to a quilt show.  I was expecting more traditional quilts, so was surprised at the contemporary look of many of them.  The note on the one above said her daughter-in-law wanted a black and white quilt, but the quilter thought it needed the dragonflies for a little color.  Her daughter-in-law did not agree, so the quilter was able to keep this one for herself!  I liked the use of vintage handkerchiefs in the "tea" quilt seen in the photo below.

 Sadly, many of the quilts were quite close together, so it was hard to photograph them in their entirety. We liked how the edging was "broken" in the above quilt and the trapunto design in the one below.  I loved many of the black and white quilts, but also enjoyed the whimsical snow man and chicken quilts.








No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.