Monday, August 17, 2026

Alienor

 Alienor Aquitaine:  

“Trees are not known by their leaves, nor even by their blossoms, but by their fruits.”


Marie Countess of Champagne

Alice Countess of Blois

Matilda Duchess of Saxony
So Alienor, I know about you,                                                             

but I do still have a question or two. 


No, I’m not going to ask 

if you really rode to the Crusades 

with a band of Amazon warriors.


I’m not even going to ask 

what it was like to be married 

to the King of England and the King of France 


For sure, I’m not going to ask 

about your lovers or your schemes against Henry II.  

That is none of my business.


I’m your 24th great granddaughter, 

descended from Marie, Alix, Eleanor and Matilda

(John, too, but you were right about him).


What were my ancestors like?

I wonder if any of your daughters were like you—-

a strong-willed woman. 

Your “fruits” were not as well-known as you.  


I know about their titles: 

Eleanor Queen of Castille
Queen of this” or “Countess of that” 

But what about 

their character, 

their values, 

their intelligence?

Royal titles mean nothing to me.  


You’ve had novels and plays written about you, 

but tell me about them. 

Were they respected and admired?

Were they benevolent leaders?


You had tumultus relationships with your husbands:

 Louis VII and Henry II.  

What did their husbands and children think of them?


You had 10 children—-5 daughters and 5 sons.  

We know your sons were not strong or principled.  


What about your daughters?

What about your daughters?


1 comment:

Sister Jane said...

I love that Eleanor of Aquitane was so strong willed. She, like all royal females, had to fight for their own will to survive. They had inheritance but seldom rights. The monarchy had them promised in marriage when they were born or toddlers. They had little to say about their life, yet struggled for their own identity.

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.