Tuesday, August 11, 2026

'S e Alba mo dhachaigh

 I’ve lived entirely in the Midwest


But my home is Scotland Lowlands

There I see people who look like me

walking down the cobblestone street

shopping in the small grocery stores

with a grocer to greet us:

small, lean, freckled with brown hair 

that is red in the sunlight.

And eyes of green and hazel-

smiling in recognition of my heritage.


I love the dim gothic stone churches

with the Celtic cross which invites me 

to pray and sing

Be Thou My Vision:

Riches I heed not, not vain, empty praise:

Thou mine inheritance, now and always.

Thou and thou only, first in my heart,

High King of Heaven my treasure thou art.


I love the bag pipes

and the kilted pipers

calling me to remember a time

in the deep recesses of my heritage

when those pipes called my ancestors

to stand taller remembering the vision

of Scotland greats like Malcom and Margaret.




I love the mist and the fog

Hiding the stone homes

until a veil slowly lifts to show

green meadows and stone walls

beyond.


I love the dark rooms 

with windows too small and cloudy

 But a fire in the stone fireplace

chairs beside it 

soaking in the warmth

a quilt thrown over the back of the chair

when the fire becomes embers.

It beckons me to sit and reflect.


I love the window seat 

that looks out on a beautiful wild

garden of red and orange flowers

Feet propped in the seat

my back againsr the wall

reflecting on the beauty of life:

the irony of this American feeling

at home in

the Scotland lowlands 

where my ancestors left many years ago.


No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.