Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Good-bye Aunt Norma

My Aunt Norma died last week. She was one of a kind---the most generous person I've ever known. But, she was so self-assured that Mother nick-named her "Auntie Mame."
As a young woman she was tall, thin and had darker coloring than her brothers and sisters---I think she was striking and statuesque. Here she is with her first husband Hampton (Bud), Steve's dad.
She was always impeccably dressed---I remember being in awe of her closets and shoes---all neatly stored in shoe boxes in her closet.
She started our tradition of family Easter egg hunts, first at her home in Ellisville but later in her home in Riverview. She always had a few twists to the egg hunts which included prizes---a tradition we carry on today.
Here she is with my parents on the left (Dad was her older brother) and her second husband Eddie.
Maxine, LeRoy, Norma
She loved family weddings---pictured above with her brother (my dad) and sister at her niece's wedding.
Norma with my brother Jim
She never missed a wedding even flying thousands of miles to attend a great-niece's or nephew's wedding after she moved to California.
She spent Easter 2008 with us. My brother gave her a crown and declared her Queen of Easter. Here she is leaning on her cane watching the children hunt for eggs looking every bit the Queen she was.
She is survived by her son Stephen, daughter-in-law Marisella and granddaughter Jacqueline and dozens of nieces and nephew who loved her very much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She was a classic. No one else like her! Family was always her center focus.....and stylish clothes. Although Dad was older than Norma, she looked out for him since they were children. She was very protective of her family....all of us. Without her, I wouldn't be here. She worked with mom in the dime store and introduced dad to her. She was a great aunt! She was a great Godmother. I will miss her very much; however our love will always bind us together.

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.