Monday, April 19, 2010

Azaleas in Charleston . . .Missouri



Parkway's Community School sponsored a trip to Charleston, Mo for their Azalea festival.
Azaleas and dogwoods were in bloom almost everywhere we looked.

The town even canceled school for Thursday and Friday because there are so many people coming to Charleston for this event.
In addition to the azaleas, there was a craft fair and a quilt show. I'm so in awe of the cathedral window quilt above since mine still only has 4 panes done after 30 years. . .Click here to see mine.
It was a nice mix of contemporary and traditional designs.
Then we went on a house and garden tour.
This is the historical society's Moore House.
It was beautifully decorated inside and outside.
While we knew Charleston was the home of Betty Hearnes (our former governor's widow), I didn't know this was where the Danforth's came from, nor did I know the story behind the checkerboard logo.
We also visited a house that is currently being restored.
My favorite was a house about the same age as Leah and Todd's which had beautiful leaded glass windows and front door---all original.
And, they had converted their third floor into a recreation room with exercise equipment, game tables and television.
Then we headed to Sikeston to Lambert's "home of the throwed rolls".
It was a fun day with several friends from church---Delores and Sharon. Wish a few others could have joined us.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.