Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Animals in my Yard

I don't really expect animal sightings in July---usually they stay in the underbrush to stay cool, but we've had an exceptionally kind July and the animals have been out during the day. I'm not sure what that crazy rabbit is eating---I have a whole yard full of grass and clover. . .unless this is spiteful eating. I did enclose my lettuce and beans in a raised garden surrounded by chickenwire. . .
I was very surprised when I moved a pine branch and saw something jump out. I thought it was a cicada, but it was the tiniest little toad.
Look at the size of the periwinkle (myrtle) leaf to see his size.

This morning I looked out my window and saw some movement---a tortoise (turtle). For the past week, I thought I'd seen one, but it always was just a large leaf. I even dreamed of one this past week (I've been thinking of them ever since I found my only large, ground level tomato had disappeared---I wondered if a turtle had done it)
Still no sightings on the deer. . .can't you see me running through the neighborhood in my PJ's trying to get a photo of that stag for my blog?

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.