Monday, July 6, 2009

Books Jan.-June 2009

I started the label "books" in March thinking I could occasionally write a book review or share my thoughts on a book. I've FINALLY read a book that I feel like writing about.

In this time, I've read popular books: The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks----I wanted to gag (maybe I am not much of a romantic).

I've read critically acclaimed books: Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez---I wanted to slap them everytime I picked up the book. Bel Canto by Ann Patchett---I don't care if you're being held hostage by terrorists, stop whining! I just wasn't on the side of the main characters---I couldn't sympathize with them. Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross was good, but a little dry. I was frankly relieved when I was done with them.

I read The Host by Stephenie Meyer (Twilight author)---she almost had me. It's a science fiction book written for adults. It did make me think about our humanity, but I never thought, "this book is delicious; I can't put it down."

I desperately wanted a book I could savor: a book I didn't want to put down, but I didn't want it to end either. Finally the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society book came up. I had ordered it at the library for our church book club, but I didn't get the book until the book club had already met. (Double click on any of the photos to see larger, then use the back arrow to come back to this page)
It is what literary scholars call an epistolary novel: it's not a narrative but the story is told in letters, notes, telegrams. It takes place in Britain in 1946, but a lot of the story is about the Guernsey Island when it was occupied by German soldiers during World War II. Although I knew that children in Britain were sent to live in the country or in Canada, I was moved at the story of these children having to leave their island home for the mainland.
It is funny, sad, informative, romantic and soul-searching---a wonderful novel for the summer. The reader meets the members of the "Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" through their letters to Julia Ashton who is a fairly successful author in London. The characters range from a pig farmer, several aristocratic ladies, a "bone and rag" man, a child who is being raised by the society members, an herbalist. They each tell their stories to Julia about the German occupation of their island.

All of their stories seem to feature Elizabeth who founded the society when they were stopped by German soldiers after curfew one night. In many ways, she is like Julia Ashton---intelligent, realistic, brave, ready to tackle any challenge and inspire others. (Double click to read these pages)

I'm always fond of World War II books which have "good" Germans---so often, all Germans are painted with a broad brush of badness. I knew there had been "good" Germans before Schindler's List came along--I knew good people when I lived there. I also love books which make me laugh AND cry. But, when I finish a book and think, "Darn, it's over," I know it's a book I thoroughly enjoyed.

When I'm thinking of something in the book days later, I know it's a book that's gripped me and made me think: Will Thisbee (the rag and bone man) loves Thomas Carlyle. One meeting of the society, he introduces the members to what Carlyle had to say about "the soul." He continues to tell about Dr. Stubbins (a psychiatrist) who didn't make any friends at the Sigmund Freud society when he announced (p.102):

Did any of you ever think that along about the time the notion of a SOUL gave out, Freud popped up with the EGO to take its place? The timing of the man! Did he not pause to reflect? Irresponsible old coot! It is my belief that men must spout this twaddle about egos, because they fear they have no soul! Think about it! And, I have.

It's not a perfect book. Sometimes, the epistolary form got in the way. I wanted to know more about the characters, the setting---I needed more description. One part concerning Oscar Wilde seemed contrived, and I didn't think it was necessary. I would have liked to know more about how the islanders put their lives back in order after the war. Basically, I want a sequel which probably won't happen.

The book has two authors: an aunt and her niece. Their web-site tells a little about them.

"Mary Ann Shaffer was born in Martinsburg, West Virginia, in 1934. Her career included libraries, bookstores, and publishing, but her life-long dream was to "write a book that someone would like enough to publish." Though she did not live to see it, this dream has been realized in The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society."

Shaffer became ill after she sold the book and had to call her niece to put the finishing touches on it.

"Annie Barrows, whose career also included libraries, bookstores, and publishing, is the author of the Ivy and Bean series for children, as well as The Magic Half."

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.