Saturday, July 25, 2009

Our license has expired. . .

Around 20 years ago, Dave surprised us all when he drove home from the license office with this license plate. Vanity plates had just been introduced---this was as much a surprise to me as it was to the girls.

A few years later, we added another plate. Rebecca and Rachel had pledge Tri-Delta. Not wanting to put pressure on Leah, I decided I was the third Tri-Delt.



In 2003, when all of the girls were out of college, we gave up the 3-DLTAS license plate, but not until our new neighbors saw it before they moved in and declared that Molly had been a Tri-Delta at Delta State.We are at the end of an era. The three daughters are all long-gone, married with families of their own. It was time for us to give up our last vanity plate. So, we have two generic cars (if you can call a green turbo Beetle "generic")
When we cleaned out Mom and Dad's house, we found this license plate. When I was in college, we only needed one license plate on the rear of our cars, so people purchased "vanity plates" to place on the front. I was a little sad when Mom and Dad removed this from our car as I'm sure my girls will be when they learn we no longer have vanity plates.

2 comments:

hear.t. and hue said...

awwwwww. so sad. :( that semo DDD plate is so cool!

DaveM said...

I'm pretty sure the top picture was taken in 1992, the year I bought the 3-DLTAS plates.: Becky is wearing her new "PGA Championship" T-shirt. That's the same year the golf event was held at Bellerive CC here in West St. Louis County. I went two different days, using the ticket we bought for my Dad. / Dave Morgan

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.