Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Happy Blog-versary to Me!


One year ago, I started writing my blog. My first blog was about my early television viewing: Howdy Doody in particular. Click here. I haven't written another blog on television. . . .until today.

Every year, I get hooked on a television show which is a curse for the show---they get cancelled. This past year, I really liked Life on Mars and Eli Stone. They were way too good to be cancelled.

Eli Stone reminded me a lot of Joan of Arcadia, another favorite of mine---funny, great cast and both main characters talk to God on a regular basis. Eli's father was played by Tom Cavanagh who starred in another favorite, but cancelled show Ed. Ed was a lawyer who went back to his hometown and operated a bowling alley/law practice---very funny.

Life on Mars is about a man who suddenly finds himself in 1973. Sam Tyler is a police officer with Harvey Keitel portraying his boss and Gretchen Moll as a female police officer. Sam Tyler knows he doesn't belong in 1973, but doesn't know how to get back to the present. It's an adaptation of a British show which I've also seen, but I liked the American version much better.

OK, I like quirky television---I call it creative, imaginative television.

1 comment:

Leah Morgan Korbel said...

It is frustrating. We really liked Eli Stone and Joan of Arcadia and Ed. Never watched Life on Mars. Friday Night Lights was saved by Direct TV somehow. Love that show.

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.