Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Jane's Downtown Christmas Memories

[My sister Jane writes:] I really think the magic of our annual trip downtown to look at the Christmas windows is why I love Hallmark Ornaments and why I have to have all my Christmas decorations up by Thanksgiving. Most of my ornaments are motion and I become that little girl again in downtown St. Louis. Going down there Thanksgiving evening is truly one of my favorite memories. The Christmas windows were so magical. The stores were not open so we had another trip down town to see Santa. When we walk through the department store doors into the beauty and splendor of enormous wreaths and holly everywhere. Wow! I often wonder if Dad took the job at Famous (later when we were older) so he could be part of making the magic for others. Even though we heard him complain about the window designers, I think he loved turning Northland Famous into a fairyland. Jaci, your recollection is very close to mine. I remember when we saw Santa there were long lines, but later either Stix or Famous had a whole floor devoted to a Christmas fairyland that we walked through to get to Santa. It was so neat! I remember the anticipation of going up the elevators with the sliding cage doors and the elevator attendants in white gloves announcing the floors. Sometimes it took a few times before he got the elevator level to the floor. We stepped off the elevator into the most splendid spectacle. The Christmas magic was everywhere on the way to Santa. It seems to me there was also a show with puppets and magicians. Everything to make it magical. Incidentally, I Ioved that Navy Blue Velvet hat with pearls across it. [see below] I love the lunch in the tearoom! It was one of my favorite memories because we got to be all grown up. We always got the John White burger. Even today I will use Cheez Whiz and fried onions to mimic this burger. I was the terror of the Scruggs-Vandervorts nursery and remember a dark green color with wired screened windows. I screamed the entire time Mom was gone. It had to be hours. To me it was the dungeon of terror. I really don't remember you having to stay there. [the photo above is the American Legion Christmas Party, 1950] I also remember the American Legion Christmas party. It was on a second floor over a bar??? It had a wooden floor. Santa came and we got a stocking with a tangerine and hard candy which I didn't really like except for the candy cane. I think we got a wrapped gift. I remember Grandpa Long being there. [R-L: Steve with band-aid on head :), LeRoy Long partially obscured by Roy Long in Legion hat feeding Jane ; Vennie Wicker with Hampton Adams behind and to her right] [Jane is almost obscured by the woman in the hat; I am on the right with plaid jumper and "banana" curls; Cousin Steve is right behind me with a bandaid on his head---have I ever mentioned EVERY family gathering resulted in someone being injured?] e-mailed 12-15-08 by Jane Provost [comments by me] For my brother's Christmas memories click here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Life is a changin...the good old days..we all think about those days. Life has become a daunting experience of daily challenges...

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.