Saturday, December 20, 2008

Traditional Family Christmas Photo


Undoubtedly this was originally a Morgan tradition. Click here to see our different family traditions.

While I don't have a photo for EVERY year, I thought I could share some of our "Family Christmas Photos". The one above was 1974 and was taken in Kirkwood, Mo.
The following year, 1975, we were in Pittsburgh, PA hosting the Morgan family (L-R back row---Dave, Tom, Grover, Harry; middle row: Jaclyn with Rebecca, Donna, Eloise, Karen; front row: Todd, Scott and Dale)
Back in the St. Louis area---1979 (Jaclyn, Rachel, Rebecca, Dave)--Ballwin, MO.

Before you think the photo made in 1980 has a Medieval quality with me and a Mona Lisa smile, the facts are that innocent-looking child wearing green (Rachel) was trying to annoy her little sister (Leah) by poking and pinching her. Now, look at my eyes and you'll see I'm looking at Rachel suspiciously. This was the first of our "church directory" photos.


This photo in 1983 begins the "March of the Christmas Dresses". At this point, the Christmas dresses will re-appear on another sister. Both Rachel's purple jumper and Rebecca's green velvet will appear below.

But, first, a change of venue---we spent several wonderful Christmases with Dave's parents in LA. This was Universal Studios in 1984 (Rachel, Leah, Rebecca). That's Dracula with the girls---no relation!We were back home in 1985--Rachel and Rebecca decided to go with a more casual look---pre-teens, what can a parent do?
In 1986, Rachel is wearing the green, big collared dress, Leah has Rachel's hand-me-down purple jumper--- Rebecca and I are the casual ones.
In 1987, Leah is wearing the green big-collared dress, Rachel introduces a new Christmas dress with Rebecca and I going for "Turn of the Century" look.

Poor Rebecca is wearing the same dress, Leah has on Rachel's blue dress and I'm still looking "Turn of the Century" with my broach at the neck--surprise, surprise, Dave is the casual one! This photo was 1988---20 years ago!

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.