Friday, December 12, 2008

Mom's Baskets

When Mother and Dad moved to Warren County 30 years ago, they began attending Shiloh Methodist Church, a small country church which suited them perfectly. They loved that church with its Fall Festival where they made apple butter and members sold crafts. At one of the festivals, Mom met Wilfred Schultz, a basketmaker from Foristell, Missouri. The baskets below, purchased 25-30 years ago are made of white oak and hackberry.
The frames are made of oak and the body is formed from woven hackberry. Schultz cut the wood himself.
Later, Mom purchased two stools---the smaller one was mine, but Mom kept the larger one in her bathroom.
Someone must have talked to Mr. Schultz because his newer baskets are "signed."

I just love these baskets---they have so much character. They are one of the many things Mom and I had in common.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.