Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008, Part Two

We got up early Thursday morning and started working on the Thanksgiving Feast. Jason had worked on marinating the turkey the night before.
One of the things I love about Thanksgiving is it's cold enough to put food outside---my dressing is under the foil. To see the recipe I used, click here.
Jason and Roman are checking on the birds before going down in the yard to get the fryers ready.

Jim and Roman "play" with the turkey and on Roman's gym set.

Roman told Jim he was too big!
Meanwhile, Jason was keeping the bon-fire burning and lighting the fryers.

Dinner was ready---2 kinds of turkey, gravy, green bean casserole, asparagus, rolls, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, dressing, rolls, cranberry relish
The Dining Room table was beautiful. The funniest comment came from my grandson Brett in the turkey hat. He is a picky eater so I'm sure his mother and dad fed him before they came. He saw all of us chowing down on food, looked at his plate with one tub of yogurt and said, "Hey, where's the pizza, chicken or cheese?" Sorry, buddy---we only have 2 kinds of turkey, gravy . . .
After putting up a child's table right next to the adult table, somehow the children managed to join us.
Here's Roman on Debbie's lap and Libby on Kyle's---Brett and Davis were always supposed to be with us.
So, who was sitting at the children's table?
Hmm--they don't exactly look like they are missing the toddlers!

After dinner, some watched football, but some played games

Then we had dessert---Rachel's pumpkin cheesecake was still in the fridge, but below are a chocolate cake and a free-form apple, pear, cranberry pie. My daughter Rebecca (AKA Martha Stewart) created the "turkey" design with the plates and forks.After dessert, Kyle, Jason, Brett and Davis went outside to "mind the fires." Davis fell asleep and was brought in. After the Twenter kids were put in the jammies, they headed home.

1 comment:

Leah Morgan Korbel said...

I never sat at a children's table where wine was served.....
GREAT pictures!

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.