Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Madame Alexander Dolls

The Christmas Survey yesterday certainly got my sister's attention. "Madame Alexander doll? What Madame Alexander doll?" Well, in about 1953-54, Jane and I asked for a walking doll for Christmas---I'm sure there was some faddish walking doll all of the girls wanted.
We got our beautiful walking dolls. I always thought it was a Revlon doll. After I had three daughters of my own, I became interested in Madame Alexander dolls. One night, I was laying in bed and I saw my "Walking doll" in the signature blue with pink rosebuds of Madame Alexander.
As far as I can tell, she's unmarked but a little research tells me she's either a Binnie or Winnie Walker. The blue and red outfits came with her, but my grandmother probably made the pink taffeta dress.
I asked my mother about the dolls. She replied,"We had just bought a house and I was afraid we wouldn't be able to buy you girls another nice doll." That was so like Mom, buying us what was actually better than what we wanted---she knew best. Then, I realized that I had done the same thing. More tomorrow. . .

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I love it when my mom does that! It's not often at all, but when it happens it's something to pay attention to.

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.