Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Cahokia---Indian Era


Before we went to Cahokia Mounds , we toured Our Lady of the Snows and went inside the chapel to see the interesting sanctuary.


Then, we headed to Cahokia Mounds---a U.S. World Heritage Site.
Inside the Interpretation Center, there were murals depicting how the community of 10,000 people lived. The open area above was a ball field.
There were also scenes depicting life between 1050 and 1200 AD.
And, scenes of how the archaeologists work the site.
This display above shows where each of the mounds is located in relation to the current roads.
"The Monks Mound is the largest prehistoric earthen construction in the Americas, containing an estimated 22 million cubic feet of earth"---all dug and carried by hand without the benefit of the wheel. I waited until people were on top of the hill before I photographed it. With over 200 steps to the top, we passed on that.
Archaelogists have determined there were three Woodhenges made with red cedar posts. One has been re-constructed and is used for special sunrise observations around the equinox and solstices.

1 comment:

Leah Morgan Korbel said...

Fascinating! I LOVE the sanctuary at Our Lady of Snows.

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.