Saturday, September 5, 2009

Resolution Update

I have really done well with my New Year's Resolutions. Click here. One thing that helped was writing at the top of each month of my calendar what my resolutions were. This month's resolution was to clean out the bathrooms and medicine cabinets.
I don't know how long Merthiolate stays "good" but I suspect after 31 years, it loses its curative values.
Sometimes, it was hard to read the expiration date. Dave thought this said "05" but I thought it was "85"---the magnifying glass said, "65"---think we'll toss that ointment.
We may be able to contribute these to the Dr. Scholl's Foot Powder museum. Now I know my girls will guffaw at the Venture price tag----obviously old since they've been out of business for 15 years. But, wait a minute---the one on the left has 1/2 ounce more which usually means an older can.
I turned them around and the one on the right (left in the upper photo) has a copyright of 1949 while the other bears the date 1970.
I thought for sure this was a newer powder, but, wait, the copyright is 1969 for it. . . hmm! They're antiques so we'll keep them for their collectible value!
OK, these are tins which shout, "old" but the Phillips tin still had instructions. . .I'll let them speak for themselves.

After 40-50 years, these tins have immunity to being tossed in the trash can. Although these were all Dave's, he's not the only one who holds onto items which have "expired."
Am I the only one who can't throw out these little packets with buttons and yarn. . .even after I've gotten rid of the garment. . .no expiration date---they're keepers.
I save all of the hang tags in case. . .I need to return the garment or I need a book mark. :-)
OK, some of my make up did have expiration dates---they also bore the names of 3 different Mary Kay ladies---sorry, Georgie, I tossed the tubes with your name. I did save some of this makeup for my grandchildren---I remember loving to put Grandma's make-up on. I'm sure mine will enjoy it someday, too.

2 comments:

Angela O. said...

As a former Venture customer service manager....I can tell you ( although you have figured it out) that the white, square Venture price tag is from the 70s. The store switched to a more rectangular tag with green edges in the 80s, then went to a rectangular with yellow edges for the 90s. It helped us when people cleaned out closets (ahem) and wanted a full refund of the pricetag price. We could easily say, "This item was sold 20 years ago and I cannot issue a refund." Then the people would holler and scream while I tuned out and thought of better things, like Duran Duran.

Oh, and one further Venture correction....we closed our doors in 1997. Alas, Venture has not been gone 15 years yet. Yes, I still worked there until the day the doors closed, even though I was a teacher starting in 1995. I loved that place....still do....so many friends and memories. I can't believe how many people recognize me from there. I have had people stop me in other states, on a cruise ship, at the Lake of the Ozarks, in a rest stop in Alabama, and countless Bryan parents say, "You look so familiar..." It usually goes back to Cave Springs Venture from 1987-1997. RIP, Big V. "And as always, we thank you for choosing Venture." (I was an announcement girl, thanks to my mad public speaking skills, as well!)

Oh, the building is a Hobby Lobby now. They still have "our" tile and ceilings.....it bugs me to go in there!


Signed,
Loyal Venture Employee Forever,
Badge # 27224

Leah Warren said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you...
and NO, I do not save my clothing tags for book marks!

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.