Monday, December 7, 2009

Blue Christmas


I'm not sure when Christmas started losing its magic. With the arrival of the Christmas tree in the house, I always got sick which may have been the beginning. After each negative event, I started scaling back on celebrating Christmas .

First, the live tree became a living tree (not as many allergies) and eventually an artificial tree. And yet, I love Christmas ornaments and a lit tree---just not in the same room as I'm in.

As much as I liked the jingle of the Salvation Army bells and the decorated store windows associated with shopping, I hate the crowds and waiting in line. Several Christmases had me sick, pregnant or just out of surgery---I began ordering out of catalogs and avoiding the whole Christmas rush.

Weight Watchers and Cookie-baking just are not compatible. I'd make them and eat them before we had any company! Christmas parties are another problem---first I can't count on the weather; second, the buffet is so tempting; third, we don't really drink so an open bar at a party we pay for is silly. . .I had so many anxieties, that it was just easier not going to Christmas parties.

My negative attitude toward Christmas was all very gradual until our parents starting dying. When Dave's mother, father and my mother all died in January, Christmas became a very sad time for me. They all showed signs of illness as they struggled to have a Merry Christmas.

Our church began having a worship service called Blue Christmas because it recognized that there are dozens of people like me who have a hard time this time of year. It was a beautiful service.

There was not one dry eye as we remembered our loved ones who weren't with us any more.
Click here for more information on Blue Christmas.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.