Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Fatherhood


As my dear nephew Doug is approaching fatherhood for the first time, I'm reminded of my Dad. . . He was in Shanghai when I was born---the photo above was when I was 13 days old and was sent to my father overseas.
Although I don't remember the exact details of my sisters' birth, I do know he went out for cigarettes and wasn't there when she was born either. In his defense, Dads weren't allowed in the delivery rooms of hospitals back then. The typical image was of them smoking and pacing in the hospital waiting room while their wife delivered. Then, the nurse would come in, and announce,"It's a girl!" Here's a brief video showing a new hospital in 1950's with the fathers.
The photo above is Jane when she was an infant----she honestly had to have a hair cut before she was a month old. I don't think we've ever had a baby in our family born with so much hair---most are pretty bald.
I do remember the birth of my brother. . .I was 10 years old. Mom went to the hospital "for rest". If you knew Mom, she was a little high-strung. Jim was born in January---I'm sure the fear of bad weather and bad roads, had her anxiety pretty high. So, Dad took her to the hospital on his way to work. . .you guessed it, she went into labor while Dad was at work (on the night shift). He came by the hospital the next morning to see how Mom was and discovered Jim had been born! So, although Dads were not usually in the delivery room, they were usually in the waiting room. . .but, not Dad. And Mom never let him forget it.
I'm sorry I don't have any photos of Jim as a baby (Mom probably sent them all to him), this was the best I could do. Yes, that's me in the Laverne and Shirley sweater. My sister Jane (Doug's mother) is beside me---are we not a lovely pair? Mom and Dad are behind us. This was taken in "the rathskeller" which was in the basement. I don't know why we called it that---it might have been because St. Louis has such a German community. It was like a family room, but in the basement.

So, Doug, we hope you are present for the birth of your baby. . .don't continue Grandpa's tradition!

2 comments:

Leah Warren said...

I can't imagine having Todd in Shanghai during any of my kid's births...crazy!

Christi Provost said...

Wow! I hadn't heard those stories. If our little girl has much hair at all, I'll know where it came from! I think I came out with some dark-ish hair, but not much of it. Love the pictures!

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.